Get FREE MRI / TTE scanning (worth RM1470) while helping our research!
1.Age between 35 to 65 years old.
2.Do not have any heart disease based on history, physical examination and ECG.
3.Do not have diabetes mellitus.
4.Do not have hypertension.
5.Do not have claustrophobia (fear of enclosed spaces).
6.Do not have any metallic implants in the body.
University Malaya Medical Center (Kuala Lumpur)
Estimated 1 subject every Monday afternoon (2-4pm), starting from July 2013 to Dec 2013.
What to expect?
The protocol used in this study is based on the standard clinical procedure for heart assessment. This protocol involves the acquisition of two types of clinical images, known as Transthoracic Echocardiography (TTE) and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) images, which are useful for the diagnosis of heart diseases.
In the TTE imaging procedure, electrocardiography (ECG) leads will be attached on your right hand and legs to measure your heart rhythm. A handheld imaging probe will be applied onto your chest, with a layer of gel, to perform non-invasive scans of your heart. This scanning will be conducted by an experienced medical lab technologist.
In the MRI imaging procedure, your heart rhythm will be acquired by attaching the (ECG) leads on your chest. Hairs can interfere with your heart signals, and for this reason, a disinfected electric shaver will be used to trim the hair (if there is any) on your chest prior to scanning. A headphone will be applied on your ears to protect them from any potential noises emitted by the MRI system. You will also be required to hold your breath according to your ability during the acquisition of the images. The image acquisition procedure, for both TTE and MRI, will take around 1 hour of your time (i.e. 45 min for MRI and 15 minutes for TTE).
Location: Bilik TTE, Level 7, Menara Selatan
Location: Pusat Pemeriksaan MRI, Ground Floor, Menara Utama
Participant first heads towards Bilik TTE at Level 7, Menara Selatan for a TTE scan. Upon completing the TTE scan, participant goes to the Ground Floor, Menara Utama for an MRI scan. For a detailed map please Click Here .
Possible drawbacks (e.g. side effects etc.)
Both TTE and MRI are safe imaging techniques which do not use ionizing radiation to acquire images from you. There is no possible harm or side effects to you by participating in this study. All scanning will be conducted by experienced medical lab technologists and radiographers, with the presence of medical officers.
1. Participant who does not fulfill the eligibility criteria will be rejected.
2. Participant need to provide own transportation to University Malaya Medical Center (UMMC). A detailed map to MRI and TTE scanning room will be provided.
3. Any cancellation of bookings must be made at least 7 days in advance by email or phone. Failure to do so will result in your applications to join any further study being rejected.
4. Your scanning results will be de-identified and will only by viewed by researchers within the Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Malaya and University Malaya Medical Centre.
5. You will be provided with a copy of the Information Sheet and Consent Form for your personal records. To be involved in this study, you need to read and understand this information sheet and sign the consent form.
To participate in this study, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details:
2. I/C Number
3. Mobile phone number
4. Current address
For any queries about the study or cancellation of bookings, please call Ms Abbie at 6016-752-3764 (Mon to Fri, 10am to 7.30pm) or email us at email@example.com